Site safely Set up your grill at least several feet from the house, away from areas highly trafficked by kids or pets. Charcoal grills shouldn’t be used on a wooden deck, though gas grills can be, as long as the hot part of the grill isn’t touching any wood. “A patio made of brick or concrete is ideal,” says Brown.
- 1 Is a gas grill safe on a wood deck?
- 2 Can I grill on my wooden deck?
- 3 What do you put under a grill on a wood deck?
- 4 How far should a grill be from a deck?
- 5 Can I put a fire pit on my wood deck?
- 6 How do you hide a grill on a deck?
- 7 How do I protect my deck railings from the grill?
- 8 Can I put grill on Trex deck?
- 9 Do grilling mats work?
- 10 How much clearance does a grill need?
- 11 How do you anchor a grill to a deck?
- 12 How close to the house can a gas grill be?
- 13 Where should I put my gas grill in my backyard?
Is a gas grill safe on a wood deck?
Using a grill on a wooden deck can lead to unwanted fires. Sparks might ignite wood decking boards or railings. Windy conditions can increase the danger from stray sparks. If you grill on a wooden deck, have a fire extinguisher handy and keep your eyes on the grill and surrounding deck area at all times.
Can I grill on my wooden deck?
Same as with a gas grill there is always a risk of fire when cooking over live flame, but with the proper safety measures, a charcoal grill is perfectly safe on your patio. Read on to discover a few top tips for preventing any damage to your wooden deck while grilling.
What do you put under a grill on a wood deck?
If you want to maintain the cleanliness of your grilling space and also lengthen the life of your deck, a deck mat (or grill mat) is a must-have. A deck grill mat acts as a protective layer between your grill and the deck. It prevents grease, sauce, or any other splattering liquids from causing damage to the flooring.
How far should a grill be from a deck?
Not Giving the Grill Enough Space Floating embers can easily spark a fire! Your grill—whether it’s charcoal or gas—should be at least 10 feet away from deck railings and any structures, like your home, garage or sheds.
Can I put a fire pit on my wood deck?
Don’t: Never place your fire pit directly on a wood deck. The heat, flying sparks, and ash can seriously damage your deck and can also lead to a dangerous fire.
How do you hide a grill on a deck?
How to Hide a Grill
- Store your grill in a corner of your yard or deck.
- Place potted trees in front of the grill if you are renting and can’t install permanent items or if you don’t have a suitable corner to use.
- Invest in a fold-up wall barbecue if you have a small yard or deck and want to save space.
How do I protect my deck railings from the grill?
The simplest way to protect deck railing from the grill is a wool or welding blanket before firing up the grill drape the blanket over the railing, protecting it from heat and flames. Then after the grill has cooled down, fold up and put away returning your railing to its former beauty.
Can I put grill on Trex deck?
Yes, Gas grills are safe to use on a composite deck. Composite decking is designed to a minimum of Class C fire rating similar to wood decking. As an extra layer of protection, people will often place a grill mat or pad to protect the decking from both heat and spills.
Do grilling mats work?
Grill mats can withstand high temperatures, which makes them ideal for grilling as well as in the oven. Thinner mats can withstand temperatures up to 500° F. For maximum safety, keep your mat at about 300° to 400° when grilling. Cooking with your mat at a lower temperature also means it may last longer.
How much clearance does a grill need?
Maintain proper clearance to combustibles. As per the manufacturer’s suggestions, we recommend 20 inches to the rear of the grill, 7 inches from the sides, and 24 inches if the grill is placed near vinyl siding.
How do you anchor a grill to a deck?
How to Anchor Down an Outdoor Grill
- Wedge angled wooden blocks into the grill’s wheels to prevent any possible movement.
- Place one or two 10-pound sandbags evenly over the grill’s crossbars to anchor it.
- Tie the grill to a nearby structure that’s anchored, such as a deck or porch.
How close to the house can a gas grill be?
While each grill manufacturer has their own guidelines, the general consensus is that your grill should be an absolute minimum of 3 feet away from any house walls. Additionally, your grill should also be placed at least 10 feet away from any objects that are easily flammable or could catch fire from an ignition.
Where should I put my gas grill in my backyard?
Always place grills on a flat, clean surface away from any potentially flammable debris such as rubbish bins or mulch. The same goes for low-lying trees and hedges. Make sure there are no low-hanging branches in the vicinity of your BBQ.