- 1 How do you install a kitchen sink drain?
- 2 What is the rough in height for kitchen sink drains?
- 3 Do I need plumbers putty for sink drain?
- 4 Does a kitchen sink need a vent?
- 5 How do you install a P trap for a sink?
- 6 How do you measure a kitchen sink drain?
- 7 Do kitchen sinks come with drains?
- 8 What size is a kitchen sink drain pipe?
How do you install a kitchen sink drain?
What is the rough in height for kitchen sink drains?
In the bathroom, the sink drain is typically between 24 inches above the floor. Rough-in plumbing is usually placed at a somewhat lower height, between 18 and 20 inches, to accommodate varying counter heights and sink depths and leave plenty of space for the P-trap and necessary connections.
Do I need plumbers putty for sink drain?
You must seal the area between a sink’s drain body and the actual sink surface, otherwise water will leak out between the two and begin dripping under the sink. Both plumber’s putty and silicone caulk provide a watertight seal for a sink drain.
Does a kitchen sink need a vent?
Every sink needs a sink vent. A plumbing fixture like a sink can not function properly without a sink vent. A sink needs a vent because the pressure put on the drain pipe when water flows down the drain pipe needs to equalize. The air needs to escape the drain pipe in order for the sink to vent.
How do you install a P trap for a sink?
How to Install the P-Trap under a Sink
- Slide the short side of the P-trap onto the tailpiece that drops down from the sink drain.
- Take the lower part of the P-trap apart and insert the trap arm into the wall drain fitting as far as it will go.
- Pull the trap arm out of the wall fitting until it lines up with the top U-shaped portion of the trap.
How do you measure a kitchen sink drain?
A standard kitchen drain is 3 1/2 inches in diameter. This is the measurement across the center of the drain, from one side to another. The drain strainer, the bowl-shaped piece inside the drain mouth, matches this dimension. It is designed to sit inside the drain mount and seal it closed when flush to the drain bowl.
Do kitchen sinks come with drains?
Kitchen sinks almost always do come with a standard drain, to connect to a 1–1/2 in p-trap. Bathroom sinks may or may not, as vanity faucets almost always come with a drain to match the faucet’s finish and to mesh mechanically for the drain stopper mechanism.
What size is a kitchen sink drain pipe?
Pipe Size. Some older sinks may have drains that connect to a 1 1/4-inch tailpiece, but most modern drains have a 1 1/2-inch outlet. All the pipes that connect to the tailpiece, including the P-trap assembly and all the horizontal extensions, are either 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 inches in diameter.