We do not recommend the use of alcohol or hydrogen peroxide to clean your dog’s ears. These products can cause inflammation to the ear canal and further exacerbate infections.
- 1 What can I use to clean my dog’s ears at home?
- 2 How do I treat my dog’s ear infection with hydrogen peroxide?
- 3 Can you use peroxide on dogs?
- 4 What is a good ear cleaner for dogs?
- 5 How can I soothe my dog’s itchy ears?
- 6 Is hydrogen peroxide safe for ears?
- 7 Does vinegar cure dog ear infection?
- 8 How can I get rid of my dogs ear infection without going to the vet?
- 9 Can I treat my dog’s ear infection myself?
- 10 How do I clean my dogs infected ear?
- 11 Can I use rubbing alcohol to clean my dog’s ears?
- 12 Can I use a QTIP to clean my dog’s ear?
- 13 How do you clean a dog’s ear that hates it?
What can I use to clean my dog’s ears at home?
If your dog doesn’t have an ear infection and only needs to have their ear flap cleaned, Dr. Nelson tells Rover that a 50/50 solution of distilled water and white vinegar is a good at-home option. This maintenance treatment can help prevent infection in an otherwise healthy ear, she says.
How do I treat my dog’s ear infection with hydrogen peroxide?
A solution of one part hydrogen peroxide and one part water can be used to wipe out the canals of the ear with a cotton ball for a dog with a mild infection, post-veterinarian approval. Never use a q-tip or pointed object, as that can lead to damage in the ear.
Can you use peroxide on dogs?
DO NOT use soaps, shampoos, rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, herbal preparations, tea tree oil, or any other product to clean an open wound, unless specifically instructed to do so by your veterinarian. Some of these products are toxic if taken internally, while others can actually delay healing.
What is a good ear cleaner for dogs?
Best dog ear cleaner reviews
- Virbac Epi-Otic Advanced Ear Cleanser. Ideal for regular maintenance.
- QualityPet Ear Nectar Organic Ear Cleaner.
- Zymox Otic Pet Ear Treatment with Hydrocortisone.
- Vet’s Best Ear Relief Wash + Dry Combo Pack for Dogs.
- VetWELL Dog and Cat Ear Cleaner.
- Vetoquinol Ear Cleansing Solution.
How can I soothe my dog’s itchy ears?
And many of those problems can lead to the most annoying symptom of all—constant ear itching. If you catch your dog scratching ear to ear in frustration, don’t panic. A few dog-friendly home treatments:
- Calendula lotion.
- Apple cider vinegar (diluted)
- Hydrocortisone ointment.
- Mullein oil.
Is hydrogen peroxide safe for ears?
Hydrogen peroxide is a popular ingredient in ear drops used to treat ear infections and earwax removal (cerumen). It is safe when used carefully as directed by your healthcare provider.
Does vinegar cure dog ear infection?
Apple cider vinegar can clean a dog’s ears and rebalance the skin pH, but it will also dry out ears to combat yeast and bacterial infections. When using apple cider vinegar around your dog’s ears, remember to never use it on raw or open sores since it is an acid and will burn and cause irritation.
How can I get rid of my dogs ear infection without going to the vet?
Ear infections have many different causes. These are all bad ideas, because they can irritate the inside of the ear and invite more infection.
- Vinegar. Sure, the acid in vinegar might kill yeast, but vinegar is mostly water.
- Hydrogen peroxide. Hydrogen peroxide is also mostly water.
- Rubbing alcohol.
Can I treat my dog’s ear infection myself?
How to Treat a Dog Ear Infection. “Typically, when it gets to the point of infection, you need prescription medication,” Grant says. It’s best to see your veterinarian as soon as you notice symptoms because ear infections won’t go away on their own.
How do I clean my dogs infected ear?
Remember to see your veterinarian for medication such as antibiotics as well as an ear cleaning solution that will help the ears heal quickly. You can make ear cleaning solutions at home using apple cider vinegar and lukewarm water. Apple cider vinegar will help kill yeast or bacteria.
Can I use rubbing alcohol to clean my dog’s ears?
A couple things to keep in mind when you’re cleaning ears. It’s really important to use a cleaner that’s designed to go in ears. Never put hydrogen peroxide, or straight water, or rubbing alcohol, or anything like that in your pet’s ears.
Can I use a QTIP to clean my dog’s ear?
Cleaning your dog’s ears does not require any special equipment. A good quality ear cleaning solution, some cotton balls or gauze, and some treats to reward your dog are all that is needed. DO NOT use cotton tip applicators (Q-tips) due to the risk of perforating the ear drum or causing trauma to the ear canal.
How do you clean a dog’s ear that hates it?
Apple cider vinegar can be used to clean the ear canal to prevent infection. Lift up your dog’s ear so that you can see the ear canal clearly. In a circular motion, clean the dog’s ear with the cotton, if your dog’s ear is especially dirty you may want to use a cotton swab to get in the ear better.