Hang Curtains High
- Bare minimum: at least 3” to 6” higher than the top of the window, if you have that much room to work with.
- Even better: halfway between the top of the window and the ceiling, plus an inch or two.
- If you have crown molding, mount the curtain rod right beneath the crown molding.
- 1 Do you hang curtain rods above trim?
- 2 Do curtain rods go on trim or wall?
- 3 How far from crown molding should curtains be hung?
- 4 Where should a curtain rod be placed?
- 5 How high above the window should the curtain rod be?
- 6 How can I hang curtains without covering trim?
- 7 How do you hang curtains with wide window trim?
- 8 How do professionals hang curtains?
- 9 How do you hang curtains on a framed window?
- 10 How do you hang curtains inside a window frame?
- 11 Where do you hang curtains with crown molding?
- 12 How high should you hang curtains with 9 foot ceilings?
- 13 Should curtains go to ceiling?
Do you hang curtain rods above trim?
Generally, hanging curtain brackets on the wall above and outside the window molding looks best; it allows fabric to fall gracefully.
Do curtain rods go on trim or wall?
Generally we like to place the rod hooks about 8-11″ from the outer edge of the window trim. This gives us the loose, breezy curtains we like, while still allowing us to barely cover the window molding, which is what creates the illusion that the windows are wider than they really are.
How far from crown molding should curtains be hung?
Give your ceilings a lift—hang curtains around 3” below the crown molding or ceiling. If you’re lucky enough to have super-high ceilings, another rule-of-thumb for determining curtain rod height is to measure the distance between the top of the window trim and the ceiling and divide by two.
Where should a curtain rod be placed?
DO Hang High The higher the curtain rod, the taller the window will appear, so fix your curtain rod closer to the ceiling than the top of your window, if you can. One rule of thumb is that they should sit 4-6 inches above the window frame.
How high above the window should the curtain rod be?
A rule of thumb (from Architectural Digest) is that curtains should be hung between four to six inches above the window frame, so install your curtain rod accordingly. When you hang the curtain rod high, it will make the window appear taller.
How can I hang curtains without covering trim?
You can hang curtains without covering the trim by:
- Using a tension rod to mount a curtain inside the window frame.
- Hanging the curtains on a rod that is closer to the ceiling and much wider than the frame.
- Skipping curtains; opt for window treatments like blinds or shutters instead.
How do you hang curtains with wide window trim?
Hang them just below the ceiling leaving 1 or 2 inches above the drapes so the window treatment won’t appear tight or crowded. This trick, often used by interior decorators, makes the most of the room’s height by using the curtain’s length to stretch the room visually.
How do professionals hang curtains?
Rest easy — we’ve got you covered with our fool-proof curtain-hanging tips and information.
- Hang them high. Especially in rooms with low ceilings, be sure to hang your curtain rod as high as possible.
- Hang them wide.
- Hang them in the right length.
- Hang the right amount of panels.
- Hang the right style of panel.
How do you hang curtains on a framed window?
Rule 1: Hang Curtains Above the Frame To create the illusion of a taller window, mount the rod four to six inches above the window frame —or halfway between the frame and the ceiling molding. (But within reason—don’t go more than eight inches above the frame or it might look awkward.)
How do you hang curtains inside a window frame?
If you want to install curtains inside your window frame, first put the mounting track inside the frame and check that it matches with your original measurements. Put the mounting brackets against the wall and mark where its holes need to go. Next, drill into the marks and prepare to attach the brackets.
Where do you hang curtains with crown molding?
If you have crown molding, mount the curtain rod right beneath the crown molding. If the window is less than 6” from the ceiling, and there is no crown molding, then ceiling mounting the drapery is best.
How high should you hang curtains with 9 foot ceilings?
In Closing. For a 9-foot ceiling, 96-inch curtain panels are typically a good fit. This allows you to hang curtains that reach the floor, with the rod placed one foot from the ceiling. If you prefer curtains that pool on the floor or curtains that hang higher, just pick the next size up.
Should curtains go to ceiling?
Ceiling height plays a major role in how high you should hang your curtains. It is often best to use the 4 to 6 inches above the window trim rule here unless the windows stretch close to the high ceilings. If there is little space between the trim and the ceiling, then hang the curtains from the ceiling.