Indigestion, also known as dyspepsia, is a common condition. It can happen when your body has trouble digesting food. It occurs in your gastrointestinal (GI) tract. The GI tract is a group of organs that plays a part in digestion. Anyone can get indigestion.
- 1 What is the main cause of dyspepsia?
- 2 How do I know if I have dyspepsia?
- 3 What are the types of dyspepsia?
- 4 What foods to avoid if you have dyspepsia?
- 5 What does dyspepsia feel like?
- 6 Will dyspepsia go away on its own?
- 7 How do you permanently cure dyspepsia?
- 8 What is the difference between dyspepsia and GERD?
- 9 What foods can cause dyspepsia?
- 10 Can dyspepsia cause shortness of breath?
- 11 Can dyspepsia cause back pain?
- 12 What are the 3 foods to never eat?
- 13 Why you should never eat tomatoes?
- 14 Is banana good for dyspepsia?
What is the main cause of dyspepsia?
In most cases, it happens after eating or drinking. Lifestyle changes can often help. Other causes include medical conditions, such as gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and the use of certain medications.
How do I know if I have dyspepsia?
Signs and symptoms of functional dyspepsia may include: Pain or burning in the stomach, bloating, excessive belching, or nausea after meals. An early feeling of fullness (satiety) when eating. Pain in the stomach that may sometimes occur unrelated to meals or may be relieved with meals.
What are the types of dyspepsia?
Dyspepsia can be divided into 2 main categories: “organic” and “functional dyspepsia” (FD). Organic causes of dyspepsia are peptic ulcer, gastroesophageal reflux disease, gastric or esophageal cancer, pancreatic or biliary disorders, intolerance to food or drugs, and other infectious or systemic diseases.
What foods to avoid if you have dyspepsia?
Dietary changes For example, people with dyspepsia would do well to avoid carbonated and fizzy drinks, caffeinated food and beverages, alcoholic beverages, food containing high citric content as in oranges, tomatoes and products made of tomatoes, greasy food, and fatty or spicy food.
What does dyspepsia feel like?
Indigestion — also called dyspepsia or an upset stomach — is discomfort in your upper abdomen. Indigestion describes certain symptoms, such as abdominal pain and a feeling of fullness soon after you start eating, rather than a specific disease.
Will dyspepsia go away on its own?
A: There is no cure for functional dyspepsia. Most people manage their symptoms well with lifestyle changes and medications. Treating Helicobacter pylori (if present in the stomach) may significantly reduce the symptoms.
How do you permanently cure dyspepsia?
- Try not to chew with your mouth open, talk while you chew, or eat too fast. This makes you swallow too much air, which can add to indigestion.
- Drink beverages after rather than during meals.
- Avoid late-night eating.
- Try to relax after meals.
- Avoid spicy foods.
- If you smoke, quit.
- Avoid alcohol.
What is the difference between dyspepsia and GERD?
Dyspepsia is distinct from GERD and is defined as chronic or frequently recurring epigastric pain or discomfort, which is believed to originate in the gastroduodenal region. Dyspepsia may be associated with other upper gastrointestinal (GI) symptoms, such as postprandial fullness and early satiety.
What foods can cause dyspepsia?
Many studies have reported that dyspeptic symptoms are associated with ingestion of some foods such as onions, peppers, fried and fatty foods, alcohol, citrus fruits, and spicy foods.
Can dyspepsia cause shortness of breath?
Shortness of breath, also called dyspnea, occurs with GERD because stomach acid that creeps into the esophagus can enter the lungs, particularly during sleep, and cause swelling of the airways. This can lead to asthma reactions or cause aspiration pneumonia.
Can dyspepsia cause back pain?
For the more serious cases, pain can be felt in the back as well. Heartburn is another digestive disorder that may cause pain in your back. Symptoms of heartburn caused by gastrointestinal reflux disease (GERD), include a burning sensation in the chest, a sour taste in the mouth, and pain the middle of your back.
What are the 3 foods to never eat?
20 Foods That Are Bad for Your Health
- Sugary drinks. Added sugar is one of the worst ingredients in the modern diet.
- Most pizzas.
- White bread.
- Most fruit juices.
- Sweetened breakfast cereals.
- Fried, grilled, or broiled food.
- Pastries, cookies, and cakes.
- French fries and potato chips.
Why you should never eat tomatoes?
Tomatoes are packed with an alkaloid called solanine. Consistent research shows that excessive consumption of tomatoes can result in swelling and pain in the joints as they are packed with an alkaloid called solanine. The Solanine is responsible for building up calcium in the tissues and it later leads to inflammation.
Is banana good for dyspepsia?
1. Bananas. This low-acid fruit can help those with acid reflux by coating an irritated esophageal lining and thereby helping to combat discomfort. Due to their high-fiber content, bananas also can help strengthen your digestive system — which can help ward off indigestion.