Yes. Converting from natural gas to propane as a fuel source is a matter of a conversion kit that compensates for the differing pressure needed to properly operate the unit. However, not every natural gas furnace can be converted to propane; please contact your propane supplier to find out if yours can be converted.
- 1 Can all natural gas furnace be converted to propane?
- 2 What happens if you use propane on a natural gas heater?
- 3 How do you convert natural gas to propane?
- 4 Can I run a natural gas heater on LPG?
- 5 Are propane and natural gas water heaters the same?
- 6 How much does it cost to convert a gas furnace to propane?
- 7 How much more expensive is propane than natural gas?
- 8 Can I use propane in a gas heater?
- 9 How do you hook up a gas heater to a propane tank?
Can all natural gas furnace be converted to propane?
Most, but not all, appliances can be converted from natural gas to propane. The biggest sticking point is that natural gas is kept at a lower pressure, and some appliances can’t handle the higher pressure of propane even with adjustments.
What happens if you use propane on a natural gas heater?
Attempting to use a propane appliance with natural gas will result in a very small flame or no burner flame because of the lower pressure gas and the smaller orifice. It is not possible to convert appliances from electricity to propane.
How do you convert natural gas to propane?
How To Convert Appliances From Natural Gas To Propane
- Turn off the gas to the appliance.
- Disconnect the appliance from the natural gas line.
- Remove the natural gas burners.
- Screw the new burner orifices (designed for propane) onto the burner valves.
- Connect the appliance to the propane line.
- Adjust the burner settings.
Can I run a natural gas heater on LPG?
than the normal working pressure of a natural gas appliance. Any attempt to use LPG through a unconverted natural gas appliance could result in serious injury or death. Some gas appliances are not designed or certified for use on LPG and cannot be converted to LPG.
Are propane and natural gas water heaters the same?
When buying one of the propane water heaters brands, you will notice that they are the same as natural gas water heaters and that the conversion kit is usually included, which modifies the gas orifice and gas pressure regulator on the unit.
How much does it cost to convert a gas furnace to propane?
A high-efficiency propane furnace costs $3,500 to $7,400 installed. Installing a new propane furnace and ductwork costs $4,600 to $12,300. The average cost to heat a home with propane is $1,000 to $2,500 per year, or 2 to 3 times more than natural gas.
How much more expensive is propane than natural gas?
The U.S. average cost for propane is $2.41 per gallon. One million BTUs of natural gas is roughly 11.20 gallons of propane. Which means for the same amount of fuel, you’ll pay $6.23 for natural gas and $26.99 for propane. The more efficient the fuel is, the less you’ll use, which plays a role in overall cost.
Can I use propane in a gas heater?
In principle, all gas patio heaters and gas barbecues are suitable for both butane and propane gas. Which type of gas you need depends on which time of year you want to use the barbecue or patio heater and the gas pressure regulator.
How do you hook up a gas heater to a propane tank?
To connect the propane tank to the wall heater, you will need to drill a hole through the exterior wall using a 2-inch drill bit. Then, feed the hose from the heater to the propane tank. Use the adapters that came with the heater to connect the hose.